Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Touchdown for You and a Touchdown for Me

We haven't blogged about Briggs' flag football yet and the season is almost over.  He has really enjoyed it, especially with daddy being the coach.  Before I go into detail about Briggs, I first have to talk a little about Max.  He LOVES to "practice" with the team and on game day has been playing a little football of his own.  He and another little brother played almost nonstop last Saturday, passing the ball to each other, taking turns scoring, with Max shouting, "a touchdown for you and a touchdown for me!" 

Briggs' team is the Giants, which I find so ironic since Rod is a huge NY Giants fan (we don't really know why, he just is).  They have only won one game, the only one I missed because I was in the hospital, but they are really improving and having fun.  On his one chance to run with the ball and possibly score, Briggs decided to showboat and do a double-spin move.  He didn't score, but was really proud to show off his skills.  He also is getting better at pulling flags while on defense.  Overall, I think we give flag football two thumbs ups!

On the homeschooling front, things have slowed down considerably since I have been sick.  We have managed to get most of the basics done everyday, but barely.  I am trying not to get discouraged and give myself time to gain back energy and enthusiasm.  Last week we went on TWO field trips, which were just what we needed!  We saw "Zorro" at the Birmingham Children's Theater and the boys loved all the sword fighting.  We continued with the Latin theme and had Mexican for lunch.  Probably not a great idea for my tummy, but nonetheless...
Then we headed to the park in Homewood and played for a long time.

On Friday, we headed to the McWayne Center to learn about weather.  They had a great time, especially playing with the other boys!

One last thing, a funny story that I will embellish just a tad (only the order of things, not the actual events) for comedic effect.
I know that homeschooling is not for everyone.  I NEVER dreamed it would be for us, but God has a way of ditching our well laid plans for His own better plans.  I have been guilty of assuming that homeschooled kids were weird and unsocialized.  Honestly, I apologize to anyone that I have thought that about.  But when you look at the reality, it just is not true that homeschooled kids are not socialized.  They get tons of socialization in the three biggest areas that they will live and function in for the rest of their lives: family, work, and community.  Okay, so maybe not so much in the "work" category right now, but one day they will.

Anyway, at Briggs' football practice this week, I was talking to two moms and they asked what school Briggs went to.  I try not to get anxious about what others think when I answer "we homeschool" but the truth is, you never know how someone is going to react.  For the most part, I am surrounded by people who do it or at least have a lot of friends that do it, so I haven't really felt very "alternative lifestyle" yet.  I tend to kindof act like it is not really a big deal to protect myself from being considered too weird. 

So there we are, sitting in our lawn chairs with the boys getting ready to practice in front of us, when I must explain myself about why we home school.  Both moms quickly say it is something they could never do (nor would ever want to do).  One says her son does not listen to her or her husband, therefore, she could not teach him anything.  The other says her kids just like the socialization that school provides and would not want to be isolated from people.  Mom #1 chimes in agreement.  Just as I am feeling like I am the mother of weird, unsocialized homeschoolers, I look over onto the field (Rod has not gotten there yet) and Briggs has his dad's coaching whistle, ordering the players to line up to run drills.  He blows the whistle and the other players race to the fence, obediently following his lead.  He yells encouragement and direction to them as they line up again, exactly as he tells them.  Hmm.... maybe we're letting them out of the house too much.





2 comments:

Wanting What I Have said...

HILARIOUS!!! I think you better keep him home a little more! :) And hang in there with the homeschooling! You are doing great! You've been through SO MUCH! Getting the basics done right now is HUGE! Don't be discouraged!

Angie Smith said...

Ha! Ha! Ha! I love reading your posts!