Sunday, May 2, 2010

You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me Lucille.......

Rod's gonna kill me for that title, but today is one where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. One that I would rather forget. One that I needed to be over with for sanity's sake, so the kids are in bed and it's not even 7:30. And most certainly one I do not wish to blog about, but I'm already committed.


Okay, from the beginning.


Worship was amazing today, as always. The sermon was on the 23rd Psalm and I don't think I'll ever look at it the same way again. So thankful for a intensely personal Shepherd who never stops giving to us. Even when he takes away. Sustains and satisfies. His grace, resulting in His glory. I knew He was speaking directly to my soul this morning.


Oh, and we got the book! The Radical book: Taking back your faith from the American Dream. Ouch. I need these words so much, I got two copies. This is not new for us, at our church, but something we struggle with, have been struggling with for some time. I am grateful for the struggle. There was a time when I never gave it a second thought.


Baseball pictures were this afternoon. I thought the hardest part would be getting everyone there on time, dressed, and picture ready. As Briggs was getting his picture made, his coach asked me if he could talk to me about something. He said that Briggs and some others had been telling another boy on their team that he was a bad player, making them lose, or something to that effect. The little boy was so hurt, he quit the team and never wants to come to the ballpark again. I was shocked at what I was hearing. I think there is a part of me that thinks we are somehow immune to having problems like this because we try to do all the things we are suppose to do. Of course this makes no sense, we are all sinners. We don't just make bad choices, our depravity reaches to our core.


All I could think was, "This is something Rod needs to handle. These kind of life lessons are just the thing dads are there for." Only Rod is half a world away and I had no idea when he would call again. Soooo, I put on my B.G.P's and began to think about how to handle it.

After a torturous wait, poor Briggs was more than ready to face the music. I prayed about what to say, to help him understand the weight of his sin, the hurt he had caused, but also the forgiveness of our Shepherd. We both shed tears. We read Scripture about the tongue (Prov. 18:21), about the kind of person he wants to be (Prov. 20:11), about forgiveness, and salvation (Romans 10:9 and I John 1:9; 2:1-6). Just as we were finishing, Daddy called. Perfect timing. He immediately said that I needed to call the parents of the little boy and ask if we could come over and apologize. I was thinking we could just write a letter, you know, and avoid confrontation. Things like this make me sweat and my heart race. Normally I would be thinking, "Whew, I'm glad Rod has to handle this one, being the spiritual leader and all." But it seems like God is telling me, "No, this one is for you. It's called humility and it's a good thing."

Of course, face to face confession is the right thing to do and we have to teach Briggs to take responsibility for his actions. It will be a good lesson for both of us, but maybe I should put on a little extra deodorant, just in case.

2 comments:

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

BGP's is right. Way to go, Mama. You're doing fine!

J said...

Oh Leslie,
This brought tears to my eyes. What a wise Mama you are! A face to face apology will be hard, but so the right thing to do. Your courage and willingness to do the hard, but right and good thing, encourage and inspire me. I am praying for you both, and for this little boy and his family. May God bless and be glorified!