Friday, May 7, 2010

Mommy & Max Tea, A Meltdown, and Career Day Part II

Thursday morning Max's school had a "Mommy and Me Tea" for Mother's Day. He gave me a small plant with his picture stuck on a Popsicle stick in the soil. We had a great lunch and listened to words of encouragement about the fleeting moments of mothering small children.

Afterward, I attempted to get Max to take a nap, but to no avail. He had T ball practice at 6 and I knew he was tired. After about 20 minutes, he was distracting other kids, throwing his hat and glove and walking all over the field. When I walked onto the field to redirect him back to his spot, it made him mad and he swatted at me. I picked him up and he really got mad and grabbed my hair! Totally embarrassed, I marched the long walk of shame to the parking lot and enacted some significant corporal punishment. Then I waited and waited for him to stop crying and apologize before attempting to return to practice. It seemed like it took forever, but he finally went back out on the field for the last few minutes of practice. His coach has to be the most patient person ever to put up with crazy people who put a 3 1/2 year old in T ball! Actually, he has done fairly well considering his maturity, up until last night.

Mom and Dad came last night and Dad spoke at Career Week this morning. When we pulled up to the school, there was a man showing his dump truck to a class and letting the kids honk the horn. Then we saw a pilot dressed in uniform walking into the school. Dad jokingly said he didn't know if he could compete with all that. He brought his paint guns, airbrush, and some samples of his work, including Briggs and Max's baseball helmets. He told them about repairing wrecked cars and about how Briggs helps him when we are home. The kids loved it and asked lots of questions. As we were trying to leave, one asked for Dad's autograph and then they were all bringing papers to be autographed! I guess he didn't have anything to worry about after all, and now he is a celebrity!

I just spoke with Rod a few minutes ago. He said that in the last four years of mission work in the area he is in, they have had about 10 people become Christians. Within the last four months, they have seen over 50 become Christ followers! God is doing an awesome work there.

They attended a monthly "small group" meeting that consisted mostly of prayer time. He said they literally spent hours in prayer and it was an amazing experience. I can't wait for him to tell me all the details!

1 comment:

J said...

Oh, I feel your pain regarding dealing with the sinful nature of a 3 year old! :)

And I got chills reading about Rod's experience. To God be the glory!