Number of islands: 17,508
Piper would say "The problem is being satisfied too easily. We believe that everyone who longs for satisfaction should no longer seek it from money or power or lust, but should come glut their soul-hunger on the grace of God."
Piper's quote is rooted in C.S. Lewis who said "Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
I would say I have been far too easily satisfied with not desperately longing for the joy found in seeking and doing God's will, in not sharing His Word, His Glory, His Gift, in not turning my eyes (and heart) from things of this world that are eternally useless.
God would say
- Zephaniah 1:12-13: "At that time I will search Jerusalem with lamps, and I will punish the men who are complacent, those who say in their hearts,'The LORD will not do good, nor will he do ill.' "
- 2 Tim. 4:3-4: "For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. "
- Matthew 16:26: "For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?"
But praise God that He also says this:
- Philippians 3:8: "Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ"
- 1 Tim. 6:6: "Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment"
- Psalm 16:11: "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
- and Psalm 42:1-2: "As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God."
God help me to seek you daily as deeply as I sought you while in Indonesia. God forgive me for my apathy. God help me to not grow further apathetic toward serving and desiring you. God help me to be the kind of man, father, and husband that glorifies you first and me last. Lord please daily help me to pant for you, to thirst for you, to hunger for you with a desire to glorify you and to not be so easily satisfied.