Monday, November 30, 2009

Thankful Hearts



We had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year with our family. A couple of weeks ago, we made a "Thankful Tree" to help us be more intentional about being thankful for God's blessings. I got the idea from a family that I am helping with an adoption. They have five children ages five and under ( plus one more soon from Uganda!) and every night they asked each of their children what they were thankful for and they put it on the tree. It was so fun to see what the boys would say; I think I am going to leave it up until Christmas so it will help us stay in a thankful frame of mind! Some highlights from the Thankful Tree are:

Briggs- family, God, school, food, cousins
Max- cookies (his #1), toys, leaves, colors, trees, mommy, daddy, and Briggs
We went to Dothan for Thanksgiving, as always. I helped mom cook more than usual since she has very little use of her thumb right now, due to the parade mishap. We had Thanksgiving at Brooke and Tim's house and it was so much fun. Everyone ate too much turkey, dressing, rice, peas and butter beans, yeast rolls, and casseroles (chicken, sweet potato, vegetable, and broccoli) plus pecan, chocolate, and pumpkin pie! My cousins Blake and his wife Megan came with their three girls and my other cousin, Clint, came later with his wife Angie and their two girls, which made 9 children ages 7 and under running around everywhere!


Friday, we went to Uncle Scott and Aunt Sue's house to watch the Iron Bowl, where there were more Auburn fans than Alabama, but it all worked out in the end! After the game, everyone ate chili and turkey sandwiches and then we went on a hayride! I hope it will be the first annual Brown's Crossroads hayride because it was so much fun and I think we should do it every year! It was the longest hayride ever on the trails through the woods on Uncle Scott's land. There were lots of tree branches to duck under (one large one that broke off as we pulled out that nearly killed us all if Rod had not saved the day! haha) The boys howled at the moon like wolves and recited lines from their favorite movies. At one point Max (for unknown reasons) yelled, "we're all gonna die." It must also be from a movie but it was so funny coming from him. I have no idea what the little girls were doing in the back, because all I could hear were the loud boys around me. I think everyone enjoyed the hayride and were grateful to Uncle Scott and Clint ( and Blake for the idea) for taking us.

That night, Hudson and Eli spent the night with us at Granny and Papa's house and all the boys slept on the floor in their bedroom, except for Max who got in the bed with them as soon as the lights were out.
Saturday, Rod and Brooke took all the boys to the movies to see Astro Boy and then the boys played at Brooke and Tim's house until supper and bedtime.
Sunday we got to go to church and eat lunch with everyone before it was time to go home. It was a great weekend.
As I look back over Thanksgiving, here are some things I am thankful for:
That everyone is healthy
That all of the family was together at Thanksgiving
The fun, late night talks that my sister and I have every time we go home
The relationships that I have with each of my family members
That Alabama beat Auburn (just kidding)
That Rod, my parents, my sister and her husband and my extended family are all Christ followers
That God is sovereign over all.
It truly was a happy Thanksgiving!




2 comments:

Kathy Posey said...

I think cookies would make it on my Thankful tree too.

Margie said...

That was a wonderful recounting of Thanksgiving. My grandsons are the apple of my eye!