Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Basketball and General Update


This is Briggs' first basketball season. I considered trying to get him in last year but am glad I didn't in retrospect, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been able to get the ball to the goal and so he would have just been playing ball and no basket... Anyway, he's doing really well, he's not like the best on the team but he's certainly not the worst either. I was a little surprised (in a good way) that they run full court. I am SO thankful that we've gotten out of the soccer world of "let's pretend no one knows what the score is and we're all WINNERS!". In basketball we're keeping score every game. We're about mid-season, we've won 3, lost 2, and one of the wins was an actually fairly exciting overtime event. Briggs has scored in every game, which is significant considering some of the games I've seen ended up like 12-7 or some other low scoring affair. He dribbles decently with either hand, shoots well when not in traffic, and has just started being aggressive on the floor. After the first game I had to really work with him on it being okay to take the ball from the other team and how to get after it. He's getting better in that regard and after that first game of being a bit more into it he admitted to me that he was a little scared before our talk to try to take the ball from someone. Anyway, he's having a lot of fun, I enjoy the quality time, Leslie even admitted to being excited in the overtime game, and even Max gets in on the cheering on for big brother (Sig as he calls him), after he's had his big bag of popcorn anyway. Next it's on to 3 days a week of baseball...


Speaking of Max, his vocabulary is just growing and growing, everything is "what's this?", for some reason he struggles with Briggs' name and so as I noted above he calls him "Sig", he can count to 11 consistently, and knows all the animals and sounds of all the animals in nearly every book we read him. I'll greatly miss this age of babbling. Most days when I get home a toy is immediately thrust into my hand that I'm supposed to be playing pretend with. Max will have Lightning McQueen and he'll give me Chick, he'll have a Wonder Pet and I'm supposed to be one of the others, etc... After we get through with the cordial introductions "Hi Lightning"..."Hi Chick"....it's pretty much babble city with a few coherent words thrown in for me to comment on. Today I'll bet he rambled for 2 minutes solid and Les and I neither one had a clue what he was saying but we sure did have fun. Other things about him right now...hmmm...somehow he inherited Leslie's desire to pull the fuzz off of things, namely the pillows of his crib bedding. He's pretty much gotten all of the fuzz off of them and Les has had to vacuum all around his bed. Every once in a while if he's walking around with a pillow, he'll just hand you a piece of fuzz and as plain as day say "here ya go..." as though you had been waiting for it all day long. He's been eating a bit better, mostly a decent breakfast and dinner. Sleep is kind of hit or miss, he's certainly not just laying down and crashing anymore but it's okay, I enjoy the snuggle time, it'll be gone before I know it I'm sure.

This time of year we're struggling with being cooped up and every other few days being able to go outside to hit balls, jump, whatever. I can't wait until next year when he'll be old enough to play a few things, he's gonna have a blast, I'm pretty sure we won't be having to have talks with him about being aggressive. Tonight for example he and Briggs were playing some game they made up where Max would throw a ball at Briggs and Briggs would try to hit it with his plastic pirate sword. Well Briggs thought it would be a good idea to give Max the sword...until as Briggs was running away from Max I caught hold of Briggs jokingly and Max ran up and hit him probably as hard as I've seen him hit anything square on top of the head (Les threw the book of blame straight at me of course) and Briggs let loose with a few tears which set Max into his "sorwy, sorwy, sorwy..." spill over and over. He at least is very compassionate after he's hurt someone, intentionally or not...good times!



No comments: