Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Beach


We had a great Labor Day weekend at the beach with our family. My parents rented a house in Seagrove beach and my sister's family, my grandmother, and our family all went down to enjoy relaxing and spending time together. We left Thursday evening and followed the GPS through small towns and dark curvy roads, even ones that the GPS said did not exist, until we finally made it to the beach around midnight. For some reason I love small towns with beautiful old houses on Main Street, an old school that houses K-12 all under the same roof with the football stadium in the back, and a downtown with unique shops just waiting to be explored. Where everyone knows everyone else and the same teachers tell their new students about what it was like when they taught their mamas and daddies. In one of these towns, Luverne, Rod told Briggs about when he and the Rehobeth Rebels played them in football. I don't remember the game itself, but I do remember going to watch him play ( #60, sweetie, I remember!). Aahhh, memories, the good old days.....
Friday morning we walked to the beach and had a great time playing in the sand and in the water. Sometimes Max was happy and sometimes Max was whiny. Briggs and I enjoyed building sand castles and Max enjoyed knocking them down. Briggs loved jumping off of Rod's hands into the water and swimming. Max enjoyed swishing around as long as daddy was the one holding him. He didn't really want me until he was tired or itching (we had a hard time with both of their eczema) and then he put his arms around me and snuggled on my shoulder under my hat until we got inside. Such a sweet boy.


In the afternoon, while Max took a nap, Briggs and daddy went back out on the beach to play. We had an early dinner at the Red Bar in Grayton Beach (yummy crab cakes) and then went out to take pictures of the boys. We got some really great pictures I think.

Saturday was pretty much the same with all of us going out on the beach. While snorkeling, Rod caught a hermit crab in his shell and a regular crab for all the kids to see. Briggs and Hudson played in the water, while Max and Eli played in the sand. While Max napped, mom and I went shopping at Seaside and very briefly at Rosemary Beach, as we were running out of time. It was fun to be able to spend some time with her doing what we love (shop and talk), something that I miss. That night we all went to Captain Anderson's for some grilled Bay shrimp and planned on taking pictures afterward, but it rained out our plans. We decided that since the boys were getting up pretty early in the mornings we would try again Sunday morning. While the guys were watching the Alabama game and the kids were playing, Brooke and I drove to Destin to get Briggs some shoes. He has some splits on his feet from wearing crocs and flip flops and they were getting pretty bad. We had a great time, just the two of us, talking and laughing. I absolutely miss spending time with my sister so much since we moved away.

On Sunday morning, by the time I fed the kids breakfast and got everyone ready, it was a little later than I would have wanted. We got some great shots behind the house along the trail that goes to the beach.



Then we went to Seaside and got some more great pictures of the boys on the pavilion. After about five minutes of being on the beach, both boys were crying and wanting to be carried to the car. Briggs' shorts got wet and his feet were hurting and Max was tired and wanted daddy to carry him. Rod was already halfway to the car with Briggs when I finally picked up a kicking and screaming two year old and carried him to the car like a sack of potatoes. So much for more pictures.



Rod volunteered to get Max down for a nap and Briggs and I went to Seaside for some lunch. While we were standing in line at Pickles he asked me, "mom what do you call it when it's just me and you?" I replied, "I call it mommy and Briggs' special time and it's one of my favorites." He said, "mine too." My heart melted. He picked out a table for us under a tree and we sat and ate lunch together, just the two of us. Then we went in the toy store and looked around for a while before heading back. That was one of the best parts of the trip for me, as Briggs and I don't get to spend that much time together anymore, just the two of us.

On the way back, we spent the night at Mom and Dad's house and then stopped at the Crossroads for the boys to play a little while before heading back to Birmingham. We had such a wonderful holiday at the beach and some awesome pictures to help us remember it. Although he frowns upon me publicly bragging on him, I have to say that Rod is doing such a fantastic job of learning to take great pictures and I can't wait to see how he fixes these up on photoshop. He was also very patient with me in taking them. Thanks honey.


4 comments:

Brooke said...

Great, your making me cry again. I love reading your blogs. I miss ya'll a lot too, so does Hudson.

Momma Magan said...

Oh, I love the Briggs story! And about the family, I totally understand. Even though we are closer, we are still too far to invite any of them over for supper without major plans being arranged.
We even saw my mom more when we came up here to spend the night with her from Dothan.
Rod is doing an awesome job, I want to go on a photo shoot with him to learn some things! Kudos ROD!

Momma Magan said...

Oh yeah, any family shots?
We like seeing you two as well as the beautiful boys :)

Amber Brockett said...

So glad to finally find your blog...where have I been?? It is great and the beach pics are awesome!! Tell Rod he needs to give Brantley a class the next time he is here!! Miss you guys